Malabon City at a Glance
About Our City
Situated in the Northern Sector of Mega Manila, the thriving City is bounded on the North by the City of Valenzuela, on the West and Southwest by the City of Navotas, and on the East and Southeast by Caloocan City.
The City of Malabon is a traditional fishing village traversed and divided by a once navigable river system that, in the past centuries, reached the upstream provinces of Bulacan and eastward localities of the National Capital Region.
The 1980s’ reclamation project for residential areas consumed most of the local fishpond areas. This period also introduced more diversity in commerce and industry.
Withstanding time and the toll of change and progress, the new City still retains its reputation as a fish-trading center of the metropolis; such that, the time-honored “bulungan” and other activities in numerous “consignacion” dotting the riversides render the midnight and early dawns as festive and hyper-trading hours.
Malabon’s enduring image is its proximity to the bounty of the sea. This image is made even more aqueous by the presence of three major rivers (Malabon, Tinajeros and Tullahan Rivers) that traverse the City.
Its geographical location, which is the downstream or end line of the North Metro’s river system makes the river system doubly prone to water pollution.
Thus, multi-sectoral approach is the preferred strategy of the incumbent administration to address the daunting challenge of cleaning up and revitalization of the city’s river system.
Algoreth’s “Etimologias Filipinas” says that Malabon. once a quaint town, was named “Tambobong” more than four hundred years ago.
Tambobong was said to have been one of the tribal domain of Rajah Soliman, cousin of Rajah Matanda of the nearby Manila area.
The former name originated from the numerous tambo trees growing in the area. While the name that endured describes the abundant tender and edible shoots of the bamboo: “labong”, which was one of the original ingredients of Malabon’s signature dish: the Pancit “Malabon”. In the Spanish Era, the riverside town became the convenient vacation spot for the friars and government officials of the Intramuros. They were known to call the place Malabon. It was “mala” because of the mud that dirtied and ruined their expensive leather shoes and exquisite, long robes imported from Europe; and it was “bon/buen” for its restorative, fresh air and excellent cuisine.
Historians listed various years for the town’s foundation; being 1571, 1600, 1607 and 1670. Records show that March 21, 1599, Tambobong came under the administration of the Augustinian Friars as a bisita or parish along with the town of Navotas. However, after 260 years and within several years span, the twin towns were separated and rejoined and later rendered autonomous for posterity.
During the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Tambobong benefited from its robust economic activities due to its proximity to the Walled City of Intramuros and the Galleon Trade in the Manila Bay Area.
In 1768, “Casa Regal de Tambobong”, a tribunal building was established indicating the town’s voice in legal and political affairs of the times.
Tambobong’s further industrialization was manifested by the 1851 establishment in Hulo of a huge tobacco factory called “La Princesa” owned by the King of Spain.
1888 was highlighted by the first Trambia de Bapor that plied Malabon’s River system which was an efficient entry to the northern provinces.
After the American Revolution of 1896-1898, Twentieth Century Malabon became a town of the Rizal Province through the Philippine Commission Act No. 137. It was reunited with the town of Navotas through Philippine Commission Act No. 942. Six years later, in January 6, 1906, Malabon and Navotas were reestablished as two distinct towns.
• May 21, 1599
Malabon was founded by the Augustinians as a visita of Tondo (It was then known as Tambobong).
• January 6, 1906
Navotas was separated from Malabon, through the initiatives of the principales of San Jose and Bangkulasi, due to the difficulty of transacting business and attending religious festivities in the mother town.
• November 7, 1975
Malabon became part of Metro Manila through Presidential Decree No. 824.
• December 8, 1999
House Bill No. 8868 entitled “An Act Converting the Municipality of Malabon into a Highly Urbanized City to be known as the City of Malabon” was approved on its Third Reading by the House of Representatives.
• February 8, 2001
House Bill No. 8868 was then approved by the Senate during its regular session.
• March 5, 2001
President of the Republic of the Philippines signed it into Law (Republic Act No. 9019).
• April 21, 2001
Republic Act 9019 was ratified after the Plebiscite.
About Mayor Antolin A. Oreta III
Honorable Mayor Antolin A. Oreta lll is a rare breed of public servant that embodies the rise of new politics in the City Government of Malabon.
Antolin A. Oreta lll, commonly known as LenLen is a staunch advocate of education, sports and entrepreneurship, a dedicated civic leader, and an accomplished politician, with an unblemished track record of honest and dedicated public service since he started his political career in 2007 as City Councilor of Malabon. He was then elected as Vice Mayor year 2010 and acted as Acting Mayor replacing his uncle, the late Hon. Canuto Oreta who was then the Local Chief Executive of the city after the latter died of lung cancer year 2012. Residents of Malabon showed overflowing support to the young Oreta and later on mandated by Malabon constituents as their Local Chief Executive year 2012 up to present.
He has completed 80% of Malabon’s infrastructure project during his brief stint as City Mayor.
The 2nd of 4 siblings, Aurora Rosario A. Oreta, Karmela A. Oreta, Jose Lorenzo A. Oreta consecutively, son of former Senator Tessie Aquino-Oreta and businessman Antolin Oreta Jr, the current Local Chief Executive was born on September 16, 1971 at Manila and carries with him the family tradition of nationalism and dedication to public service. He is married to the former Melissa D. Sison who is a Chef by profession.
He received his elementary and secondary education at the Ateneo de Manila before earning his Bachelor’s Degree in Japanese Studies at Sophia University in Tokyo Japan. Before taking his first step as a public servant, Mayor LenLen Oreta lll worked as an Associate for Keppel Securities from 1995 – 1997 and Assistant VP Dealer at Merril Lynch. He also served as Vice President for Finance at Intra Strata Assurance Corporation giving highlights to his private career.
He has revealed an endless support to education programs and projects initiated by the school, non-governmental organizations and the barangays. He has vowed to continue the legacy of his mother who is also the main author of the Early Childhood Care and Development Council (ECCD) law.
With his strong passion for change and good governance, he pledged to lead the Malabon City Council to be more pro active and responsive to the needs of his constituents. He also sought equal access to quality education for the people of Malabon for the improvement of their economic well-being. Not to mention that he has completed 80% of Malabon’s infrastructure project during his brief stint as City Mayor and has continuously supported education programs and projects initiated by the schools, non-governmental organizations and the barangays.
With his battle cry of “Kaya Naten”, Mayor Antolin “LenLen” Oreta lll is very optimistic that under his leadership, Malabon City will be classified as one of the finest cities in the National Capital Region.