Metro Manila News
LRT-2 plans to resume partial operations on Tuesday
The Light Rail Transit-Line 2 (LRT-2) plans to resume partial operations on Tuesday.
The operations of the line from Cubao Station in Quezon City to Recto Station in Manila are expected to resume.
On Monday, LRT-2 conducted simulation run and fine-tuning on LRT-2’s telecommunication system, said lawyer Hernando Cabrera, Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA) spokesman.
The LRTA had earlier announced that the Santolan, Katipunan, and Anonas stations will still be out of service for a maximum of nine months to undergo extensive repair and rehabilitation.
LRTA Administrator Reynaldo Berroya said they cannot compromise the safety of the passengers as it is “paramount in the delivery of mass rail transit service.”
“We cannot compromise the safety of everyone so we need to thoroughly check the integrity and stability of LRT-2 structures and equipment before we resume operations,” Berroya said in a statement.
Thursday last week, the line’s operation was shut down when power rectifiers between Anonas and Katipunan Stations, and at Santolan depot were severely damaged after it tripped and caught fire.
Due to the incident, the LRTA suspended the entire LRT-2 operations, which continued until Monday, forcing thousands of passengers to find alternative modes of transportation in the already congested Metro Manila.
Thousands of commuters affected
Apart from the more than 200,000 troubled train passengers, Cabrera admitted that the shutdown also had adverse effects on the already congested metropolis inconveniencing commuters of other public utility vehicles (PUVs).
Additional PUVs and free bus rides were deployed in an effort to assist commuters, but Cabrera said these were not enough to ferry thousands of stranded passengers, particularly near Santolan station.
In a bid to augment PUVs servicing the affected passengers, the LRTA said it will continue to dispatch buses and UV Express service vehicles with special permits and modern PUJs to ferry affected passengers from Santolan to Cubao area and back.
Fares will range from P12 to P15, comparable to the train fare for the same routes.
There will also be dedicated loading and unloading bays for the PUVs in front of Santolan Station and near Mcdonald’s at the Araneta Center-Cubao Station. The buses will make stops at Anonas and Katipunan Stations to load and unload passengers, the LRTA said.
Likewise, the Metro Manila Development Authority will continue to provide free rides to passengers from Santolan to Cubao and vice versa from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
In a data from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board’s (LTFRB) Technical Division office, the Board already issued special permits to 89 PUVs for LRT-2 bus augmentation program as of Sunday to provide additional assistance to commuters.
Probe still underway
Meanwhile, Cabrera bared that authorities are still investigating the cause of the rectifiers’ explosion.
Commissioning engineers from the United Kingdom involved in the design and installation of the existing rectifier substations also arrived in the country on Sunday to conduct a separate probe to help the LRTA to speed up the line’s repair, he added.
Cabrera explained that the nine-month closure of the three eastern stations of LRT-2 will not affect the line’s East Extension Project which is eyed to be completed by the end of 2020.
The LRT-2’s extension project intends to connect Santolan Station to Antipolo City through installing two new stations, namely: Emerald Station in Marikina City and Masinag Station in Antipolo.
The 13.8 kilometer LRT-2 train line currently has 11 stations running through Manila, San Juan, Quezon City, and Marikina.
Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto asked the public to prevent the spread of fake news, saying there is no confirmed case of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at Pasig City General Hospital (PCGH). “No cases (of COVID-19) in PCG...
Korean technology company Samsung has apologized to its customers after accidentally sending a message to some Galaxy phone users during its internal testing on Thursday. As a result of the glitch, some devices received a notification from the Find ...
President Rodrigo Duterte supports the Dangerous Drugs Board’s (DDB) resolution allowing the use of cannabidiol (CBD) or marijuana for alleviating severe forms of epilepsy. “Ever since naman iyon ang sinasabi ni Presi...
The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said seven cops assigned in Metro Manila tested positive for illegal drug use. NCRPO director Police Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas said this was the result of the random drug tests conducted on around 6,000...
Quezon City started banning single-use plastics in hotels and restaurants. The city’s ordinance on the prohibition of single-use plastics that was approved in 2019 was implemented on Feb. 15 this year. “Restaurants and hotels are prohib...
The Senate has approved on third and final reading a bill seeking to institutionalize values education in the country, after the House of Representatives approved its version of the bill on Feb. 4, 2020. Senate Bill (SB) No. 1224, or the proposed Co...